Online resources

RESOURCES FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONNational Archives of Finland's reading room

  • Arkistojen Portti is an informational and educational portal which provides information on documents that are stored at the National Archives of Finland and the provincial archives.
  • ARTO, the reference database of Finnish articles in journals and monographs. The site offers three language versions: Finnish, Swedish, and English.
  • Erkki - the database of Finnish special libraries - includes the collections of the Library of the National Archives of Finland. The collections of the Library of the National Archives consist of 82 000 volumes of Finnish and foreign literature and approximately 200 periodicals. The collections include literature on the history of Finland and neighboring countries, jurisprudence, administration and social sciences, local history, genealogy, biographical literature, and scientific literature on heraldry and sigillography
  • Finna is a search engine providing free access to materials from Finnish archives, libraries, and museums.
  • MELINDA – the union cataloque of Finnish libraries. The site offers three language versions: Finnish, Swedish, and English.
  • National Library of Finland. Books, maps, and other products published in Finland, foreign materials in the Finnish language as well as materials published by Finns and concerning Finland are catalogued in the Fennica database. The National Library has digitized newspapers published in Finland in 1771-1910 including Finljanskaja Gazeta (The Newspaper of Finland) and Wiipuri (The Vyborg). They are available in electronic format. The site operates in three languages: Finnish, Swedish, and English. Text search can be used.
  • Novgorod State University Scientific library’s Department of rare and valuable books and collection of digitized books. The collection includes 10,000 volumes and 2,800 copies of magazines from Novgorod State Institute for Teachers, dating back to 1700 to 1900 centuries. The library has an extensive collection of research related to history, science, language, literature sciences, teaching literature and literary works in Russian, English, German, French and Latin. In addition, there are non-fiction books, handbooks and dictionaries.
  • The European Library. The online portal offers quick and easy access to the collections of the 48 National Libraries of Europe and leading European Research Libraries. The search is available in many languages.
  • The Finnish literature society provides a lot of electronic materials on Finnish literature and literary and cultural research which are available online.
  • The library of the orthodox parish in Helsinki was probably founded around 1840 by the church of Holy Trinity in Helsinki, completed in 1827. At that time of Russian rule, the small collection of divine service books and other spiritual literature was available mainly to the orthodox clergy, but also to other Russian residents, such as garrisons, merchants and summer visitors. In the early 1900s the collection of mostly religious literature for the needs of the orthodox parish was established as the parish library by civil servants, clergy and other parishioners. It was situated in the building at Liisankatu 29, which was completed to serve the orthodox clergy on the donation of councillor of State Jakov Tchernishev. The terms of his donation included also moving the library in the new building.

After Finland became independent in 1917, many Russian institutions, such as garrisons and schools with their own libraries were closed. A lot of the books were destroyed and lost, but some of the surviving ones were transferred to different libraries, including that of the orthodox parish. It remained under the constant care of parishioners, who worked ardently to preserve their spiritual and cultural heritage. At the end of the 1980s, with the efforts of the library board, most of the books were catalogued and classified, renovations were made and library was opened for the public at Unionikatu 39. Early in the year 2000, the Parish library returned to its original address at Liisankatu 29 and on May 15th, it was consecrated and opened again for the readers.The library of the orthodox parish in Helsinki

The library contains more than 10 000 books. The old collection is mainly in Russian and Church Slavonic and it includes books, published at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. Some of the oldest volumes are Triodion, published in Moscow in 1724 and a Bible dating back to 1751. The library’s collection also includes many orthodox newspapers and magazines published before the Russian revolution and books written by Russian emigrants in Western Europe and USA. The primary focus of the library lies in books of religious content, dealing with orthodox faith, Gospel, saints, and mission work. A great deal of spiritual and moral literature, books on churches, monasteries and their history, religious art and architecture, encyclopedias and dictionaries are also a part of the library. The library receives more than 20 parish newspapers and magazines published in Finland and abroad. One can also find a large collection of books in Finnish, Swedish, English and Greek. The aim is to continue adding to the number of contemporary orthodox publications in many languages from different countries, and to serve faithfully not only the old orthodox population but also the new immigrants.

 

State archives of the Novgorod region compiled a list of scientific publications and popularized the subject "relationship between Finland and the Novgorod - history and modernity".