The customer and reading room services of the National Archive will adopt autumn opening hours starting from 1 September. To ensure the safety of our customers and personnel and minimise their risk of contracting the coronavirus, the hygiene and safe distance instructions that were introduced at the beginning of the summer will still remain in force.
For now, using a face mask is not expected from our customers. However, using a mask can be required from the customers if the epidemic becomes worse during the autumn.
Case-specific instructions and maximum number of participants will be separately decided for public events held in the National Archive’s facilities.
In order to make services more efficient both for you and other customers, we recommend that any orders to access document loans and interlibrary loans at the reading room as well as all licence applications are made in advance through the Astia online service. The intended day of the visit should be marked on the orders.
See the autumn’s opening hours here
The National Archive’s hygiene and safe distance instructions for customers using the customer and reading room services
Please do not visit the National Archives of Finland if
- you have flu-like symptoms or symptoms associated with the coronavirus,
- you have been abroad within the last two weeks or have reason to otherwise suspect you might have been exposed to the virus.
Maintain good hand and coughing hygiene and keep a safe distance from other people
The best way to prevent coronavirus infection is to maintain good hand and coughing hygiene, to keep a safe distance from other people and to avoid all close contact. Read more about the hygiene instructions from the website of the National Institute for Health and Welfare of Finland.
Please follow the following instructions when visiting the National Archives of Finland’s customer and reading room facilities
- Before visiting the customer service, please wash your hands at the customer restrooms or use the hand sanitizer we have placed available near the entrances of our customer service facilities at all locations.
- The number of seats available at the customer and reading room facilities will be reduced to ensure that the recommended safe distances can be maintained both between customers and our personnel.
- Please keep a safe distance from others while waiting in the queue as well. Customer service will serve customers one at a time.
- Please wipe the keyboards of any devices in public use before you touch them. We have placed disposable paper towels and sanitizer near the devices for this purpose.
- Disinfect your hands with hand sanitizer after using the devices. Hand sanitizer is also available near the devices.
- Our personnel will avoid touching and accepting any notes or documents from customers and other physical contact. The pens and other supplies intended for public use in the customer and reading room facilities will be removed from use if deemed necessary.
- Please keep a safe distance from others and follow the hygiene instructions at the coffee machines and other break areas as well as possible. Hand sanitizer and paper hand towels are also available near all break areas.
- The National Archives of Finland’s personnel will give further instructions if necessary.
Instructions for volunteers and those working in partner projects
Volunteers and those working in our partner projects can continue working at the premises of the National Archives of Finland during our opening hours and in accordance with their agreements. However, all instructions for the prevention of coronavirus infection must be observed together with the more detailed instructions provided by our locations. In addition, please remember the following.
- Workers experiencing flu-like symptoms or symptoms associated with the coronavirus should not enter the premises.
- Workers who have been abroad within the last two weeks or have reason to otherwise suspect exposure to the virus should not enter the premises.
- All workers must maintain good hand hygiene (specifically by washing their hands properly with soap and drying them carefully).
- The location’s personnel should be informed of all disturbances or if you have reason to suspect exposure.
- Workers can only use the customer restrooms, or the break areas and restrooms dedicated to them.
- Workers can only use a separately agreed-on space as a break area.
- The National Archives of Finland will ensure these instructions are followed and monitors the use our facilities.
- Failure to comply with these instructions will lead to the termination of the operations of external workers.