Planning project for mass digitisation
The planning project of mass digitisation of paper material in the field of administration was carried out between 2 June and 31 December 2017, being partly funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
In the project, a new disposal -oriented digitisation process, as well as the technology needed for mass digitisation, was defined. An implementation plan was prepared for the digitisation process, starting from the transfer of material from government agencies for digitisation and ending at the conversion of material into digital format.
The main implementing party was the National Archives of Finland, and its other implementing party was South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences (XAMK), which was in charge of identifying logistics. The City of Mikkeli also took part in project funding and the steering group.
The results of the project
- An extensive survey of analogue archival material was conducted
- A roadmap as a plan for digitising paper records in the public sector, presenting the sequence and schedule of the digitisation process was produced
- The international status of mass digitisation was examined
- The digitisation process, as well as the technology needed for mass digitisation, was defined
- Calculations of the costs and benefits of mass digitisation were prepared
The publications of the project
Final report (pdf)
Appendix 2. Survey of Digitization in Archives (pdf)
Appendix 3.1. Implementation plan for digitisation process (pdf)
For further information, please contact
Mikko Eräkaski, Development Manager, tel. +358 29 533 7234
Ville Kajanne, Inspector General, tel. +358 29 533 7030